Creating a 15-channel generative melody in Symbolic Sound’s Kyma 7.
I edited some pitches from the Schlappi Engineering Interstellar Radio into loops, and mushed some nature sounds together using Kyma’s SampleClouds. Now, by putting an amplitude generator on these two loops I can create a hybrid musical instrument of these two sounds. Take 15 pitches, 15 patterns of envelope, and send it to 15 speakers and we’ve got some Brian-Eno-style generative music with a constantly changing timbre.
This work was for my piece Perspectives of Place for Rolling Ryot’s “Ghost Line X Project”.
- 0:00 What are we doing?
- 0:37 Our looping samples
- 2:32 Staring the Kyma Sound: Sample
- 3:07 Adding an Envelope
- 5:04 The Second Sample and Envelope
- 5:54 Changing the Envelope
- 6:48 Repeating Triggers with SoundToGlobalController
- 8:12 Now do it 15 times (abridged)
- 8:48 Listening to all 15
- 10:36 Reducing the Density
- 12:48 Checking the new version
- 14:38 Closing, Next Steps.
More Kyma videos:For the latest, follow me on Social Media: